Sunday, March 11, 2012

Buffy Season 9 #7 Spoiler-lite review


You may have heard in the last few days that those of us who received an early press release of the latest Buffy comic could only respond by saying “WTF did I just read?!” My reaction was much the same. For me, it’s because Buffy Season 9 #7’s last three pages left me so shocked that I had to read them over several times before I could believe they really went there. Is that a good thing?

I don’t think so, no.

I wish there were a way to scream from the rooftops exactly what happens so I can express specifically why I would have gladly nudged my laptop off the bed, allowing it to gracefully careen into many pieces on the ground below if only it were in the budget to easily replace. That would spoil a big reveal, though, and I’m just not that sort of girl… or any sort of girl, really.

The good news, however, is that the thing a lot of people seem desperate to know about (what’s happening between Buffy and Spike) is something I feel I can talk about. Some spoilers to follow.

Let’s back up. Before everything goes computer-hurlingly wrong for me, Buffy Season 9 #7 is, at its core, all about Buffy and Spike. It is more about them than it is about abortion, zompires, giant bugs, et al. That stuff is there but it is window dressing. The main event is them finally talking about the elephant in the room.

Spike is still in love with Buffy. Buffy claims she didn’t realize that's why he's been sticking around the bay area which makes her seem even more oblivious than usual. This isn’t my first slayer rodeo, though, and while I’ve considered even comics Buffy to be keenly perceptive of the world around her, our girl can be a tad dim when it comes to relationships.

Right now you’re probably thinking, “If Spike reveals his feelings, does Buffy verbally reciprocate?”

Well... not exactly, no.

Alright, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that I genuinely believe she absolutely would have if not for what happens in those last three pages.

While Buffy claims she wants to live a normal life, she moves out of her apartment with two perfectly regular folks and moves in with an ensouled vampire who lives on a spaceship full of giant bugs. Connect the dots, folks. It ain’t hard to work out how she feels about Spike.

I’m so tempted to say more. I will say that a Spike/Buffy fan’s frustration in this moment is not only matched but, I think, exceeded by my own.

Granted, I may feel totally sated come this time next month, but right now I feel a potentially serious misstep has been made. On the plus side, y’all are gonna be speculating just as much as you’ll be complaining all month, and I, for one, will be right there with you.

Come Wednesday, let's talk about this more in-depth.

5 comments:

hann23 said...

So a crazy Whedon month is about to get crazier? I can't even keep up with all the movie and preview discussions, let alone a major Spike and Buffy sit.

So is it accurate to say that Whedon giveth -- Cabin in the Woods, New Hope, preAvenger hoopla --- and Whedon taketh away?

*bangs head on desk*

Supernatural is new this week right?

Tara said...

Haha...I don't even know Hann. I honestly thought Supernatural was going to be new this past week so I can't even put faith in my own mind's schedule anymore!

I do wonder what you'll think of Buffy #7, though so please let us know when you read it :)

anca said...

Thanks for the lite-review, guys, but now I'm even more intrigued about the WTF moment. I mean seriously, what ever can make Bitsy to want to break his laptop?

Oh, well, 48 more hours for me.

How does one get those nifty advanced copies?

Haley Gambrell said...

I just finished #7 and, as usual, came straight to Buffyfest to read the review.

WTF? This can't be real, can it? Can it?

Unknown said...

That twist seems awfully implausible. I'll accept that an ensouled vampire is flying around in a spaceship manned by giant bugs. But this? I'm just not so sure.