Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Exclusive Interview: Whedonverse Artiste Georges Jeanty at SDCC 2014

Buffyfest was able to get a few minutes at the convention to talk with former Buffy artist Georges Jeanty about his recent work on the Serenity: Leaves on the Wind series for Dark Horse. The interview was great but unfortunately due to technical issues with our video recording, the audio of conversation has become badly corrupted; so a transcription of the interview is being made available instead. Sad face! Then again, some people prefer to read over video, so enjoy!

Thanks Georges for primping my hair before the interview began!

Buffyfest: Hi this is Tara with Buffyfest at San Diego Comic Con Day 2. I'm here with the very charming Georges Jeanty artist from Buffy, Serenity…long time with Dark Horse.

Georges Jeanty: Yes Ma'am.

Buffyfest: How are you?

GJ: I'm good!


Buffyfest: Now that Leaves on the Wind is done, what was your favorite part about that project?

GJ: Uh, the ending! Haha. The fact that it's over. Haha. I loved it, but man was it hard. It was something that was hard to do. I loved working with Zack Whedon. And… all of the characters. I loved Buffy for 6 years. I would never say no, but it was nice and refreshing to do something a little different - but still sticking with the Whedonverse because that style of writing is great, great storytelling. So, I had a blast.

Buffyest: Was it difficult going from these real life settings with grotesque monster faces on Buffy to nothing but humans in crazy Sci Fi environments [on Serenity]?

GJ: It was, and it was even more arduous because there were 7 characters you could argue the ship is the 9th or 8th character in this case. So it was, man I had references for everybody and every time I had to draw someone... God forbid they were all in the same room together I had to get references just for the little faces. So that's what was hard, that's what took a while. But it was great to do because everything was there. So it was almost like cooking this incredible stew and you had all the ingredients and it was just up to you to make sure they all came together well.



Buffyfest: And that leads nicely into this question: was it difficult to balance the visual dichotomy between Serenity’s tight, confined spaces and these huge open expanses with just a spaceship and maybe a rock in it?

GJ: Good use of the word dichotomy, and yes, you are right! I really tried, because of course when it comes to the show there is a sense of claustrophobia on the ship. It's not a fancy ship and it’s not a luxury ship. It’s a… it’s a “boat” they call it because it’s something that’s very functional but not luxurious. And you right, when they’re out in space I had freedom over pretty much what I wanted, as much space as I needed and how I wanted to go about that was totally up to me. So I was very conscious of the dichotomy and I really tried to space it so the interiors had the claustrophobic feel and then give the exteriors this very broad landscape.

Buffyfest: Now, between the Buffy books and Serenity, who is your favorite character to draw?

GJ: ....Aww, that's like picking your favorite kid.

Buffyfest: Your babies.

GJ: No, I can’t do that. Well… I loved Buffy. Buffy was great because… she’s the girl I came with to the dance. And, um… I will say Mal. Because he’s the one I had to draw the most, I felt the most comfortable with him. They were all great, but I’d go with the main characters of the shows.



Buffyfest: Now, how are things with Future’s End?

GJ: Future's End is good! That’s the new DC book that’s coming out now that I’m doing a few issues of. But I’m actually going from Future’s End to now I’m going to be the regular artist on Batwoman.

Buffyfest: Ooh, nice.

GJ: In another few months, that should be coming out. And, strangely enough, there’s going to be vampires. Wonder how that happened.

Buffyfest: I’m sure it’s a coincidence?

GJ: No, strangely enough I think they were thinking of me. Because they’re going, “Wait a minute, we’ve got Batwoman and vampires, who do we need? We need that Buffy guy!”

Buffyfest: So, when are you going to come back and do more Whedonverse?

GJ: ....Well, I'm still talking to the editor and I would never want to go too far away from Buffy, and we’re talking about a project later on that would be perfect for me to come back.

Buffyfest: We’ll love to have you back.

GJ: I’ll love it totally to be back.

Buffyfest: Thank you SO much for talking to us.

GJ: ....Anytime and I love the pancakes! (Editor’s note- The interviewer was wearing a stack of pancakes on her head.)

Buffyfest: Thank you so much!

No comments: