Thursday, July 22, 2010

Live Blogging from SDCC "The Visionaries" Panel - Joss Whedon & JJ Abrams

So here we are. We had a fantastic Interview with the IDW crew earlier (look out for that later today) before scootching over to the massively intimidating Hall H for Entertainment Weekly's "The Visionaries" with JJ Abrams and our very own Joss Whedon. We sat through several panels featuring Angelina Jolie, Liev Schreiber, Aaron Eckhart, Michelle Rodriguez, Helen Mirren, Mary Louise Parker and the kick-ass Bruce Willis just to get to Joss. Strange life.

So without further ado, The Visionaries:
JJ & Joss walk on to the stage to cheers & applause.

Moderator Jeff "Doc" Jensen: Do you know each other? Talk to each other often?
JJ: We've partied. But you've both worked with Drew Goddard. Yes, this whole panel would be about him, he told me to say that.

Jensen: Did you always want to write?

Joss: I always wanted to be a storyteller. There's never been any doubt. Never wanted to make an honest living because that's hard. I always had these universe's in my head. When I started television specs because I need food, I realized.

JJ: I always did magic tricks for my relatives. That feeling of illusion and making them belive something they don't expect intrigued me.

Joss: Not to go on about Drew Goddard again, but we always talked about "comic nerds or magic nerds..who's more pathetic"...where do you stand on that?

JJ: Neither are really pathetic, but I THINK MAGIC NERDS.

Jensen: Joss, super hero comics and comics of all stripes are important to you. Now you're directing "The Avengers", is that true?

Joss: "Marvel couldn't afford an official press release, so I'm going to just make it official... I'm directing "The Avengers"!
(Crazy Applause)
It's just a gig."

Jensen: Is it too early to talk about your take on it?

Joss: "I have to have a take? I'm still writing the outline, reworking, reworking. The thing that made me excited is how these people shouldn't even in the same room together...that is the very definition of family."

Jensen: What's your take on 3D?

Joss: I love it. There are certain films that shouldn't be in 3D...'Cabin in the Woods' say.

(applause)

Update: Our video from this panel is up in it's entirety here:

1 comment:

Steph said...

Sitting through those panels to get to Joss must have been rough... Are you sensing the sarcasm? ;)

Can't wait to hear the rest!

Hope you're all having a fabulous time.